Subject: Re: Alpha dust collector
From: [email-masked] (Christopher Eric Hanson) ()
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 1995 20:45:36 -0500

> >The original plan was to render pictures out
> >onto an external, and hook the external onto an Amiga w/
> >frame-by-frame-recorder, and use CrossDOS to go between the two...but when
> >we try to load the images, but for some reason the Amiga thinks there's
> >nothing on the disk.......It was a serious lack of foresight on our part not
> >to actually make sure this would work. 

  Assuming, as Andy Hofman mentioned, that your external drive actually _is_
formatted with the FAT filesystem, you may be running aground of another
issue we discovered.

  CrossDOS 6 has a nice utility for automatically figuring out the mountlist
info for a PC hard drive, and automatically mounting it. However, when we
tried this with the SCSI HD from our DEC Alpha (FAT formatted) we discovered
that we still got garbled information on the drive.

  This was the boot drive of the Alpha, so I'm not sure if there's some weird
boot junk in there or what. My Intel/WinNT laptop was also unable to read
the drive when it was connected up via the PCMCIA SCSI card. We took it back
to the Alpha and it worked great.

  Summary: Something's funny about SCSI drives formatted with FAT on the
Alpha, and I don't know what it is, or how to work around it. Maybe some of
the Alpha techs that lurk here can elaborate.

Chris - Xenon
-- 
 Chris Hanson | [email-masked] | I've got friends in low latitudes!
World Construction Set Web Page! <a href="http://www.dimensional.com/~questar">WCS</a>
 "There is no Truth. There is only Perception. To Perceive is to Exist." - Xen